|U.S. air date:||August 15, 2016|
|U.K. air date:||August 27, 2016|
|International premieres:|| Germany: September 1, 2016|
Hungary: September 13, 2016
|Written by:|| Ben Bocquelet|
|Storyboarded by:||Yani Ouabdesselam|
"The Roots" is the thirty-third episode of Season 4 of The Amazing World of Gumball. It is the 149th episode overall.
The family try to make Darwin connect with his fish roots.
The episode begins with the Wattersons driving to the mall. Darwin suggests that they should stop by the pet store, to which Nicole agrees. Once there, Nicole notices Darwin looking sadly at a group of fishes. Inquiring what is bothering him, Darwin only laments that he was looking at how happily the fishes are swimming in the tank before walking away as the whole family gives him a sad look.
Back home, Nicole browses through Darwin's internet history to find out what is troubling him. After seeing that he's been searching for a better fish environment, she concludes that Darwin is unhappy with his current environment. However, as the family does not want Darwin to leave them, they try to make their home more suitable for a fish. Such as eating worms and fish-hooks for dinner, wearing ocean-themed outfits and listening to whale sounds. All of which only makes Darwin disturbed and confused.
With Darwin appearing even more unhappy than before, the family reluctantly decides to release him back to his natural habitat. Later on, the Wattersons drive to a pond and sadly release him into the water and drive away. However, Darwin pursues them to an ice cream shop where he demands to know why they are acting like this. Gumball explains that they were trying to reconnect him to his roots in order to make him feel better after seeing him looking so sad at the fishes in the pet store. Darwin then explains that he wasn't looking at the fishes, but at the large fish tank and trying to guilt trip Nicole into buying a fish tank for him. Although the family appears to be shocked by this at first, they all conclude that Darwin truly is a Watterson and all hug him.
Darwin then asks Nicole if this means he'll get a new tank, to which she denies. Then Darwin attempts to guilt trip her by lamenting on that he never knew his birth parents or what his life in the ocean would have been. Nicole then guilt trips him back by lamenting how much the family owes him after adopting him, raising him and caring for him. Darwin then concedes and Nicole claims that no one can guilt trip like a mother, kissing Darwin on his forehead. Ending the episode.
- The Roots was the original name for "The Origins ".
- Richard's middle name, Buckley, is revealed.
- This is the second time Darwin expresses his desire to get a new bigger fish tank. The first being in "The Night."
- Gumball's mermaid outfit resembles that of Ariel's in Disney's The Little Mermaid.
- "Clair de Lune" by Claude Debussy is played once again in the piano version.
- The scene when Gumball thinks they are gone to send Darwin back into the wild upon Nicole saying Darwin may not like living with them anymore, he has three whiskers on the right side of his face, where he normally has two whiskers.
- Before Gumball "ejects" from his seat, he was sitting next to Darwin, then when Darwin went upstairs, it shows he was sitting next to Anais because she looked at a empty seat, thinking Gumball was there.
- When Nicole serves "worms" for dinner and says it's a special treat for Darwin, Richard's eyelashes are missing
- When Darwin says he was gone to go for a walk with the camera zoomed out, there's no electrical outlet behind him. Then when the camera zooms in, the electrical outlet is seen. Then when the camera zooms back out, it disappears again.