The episode starts when Gumball defeats a final boss on an arcade game by using a technique called "button-mashing" and he is told to put three letters as a name for the leaderboard. He first proposes "Gum" and "Bal" until Darwin suggests to use his real name, trying to find out what it is. Gumball then gives a long speech lasting most of the day about what he will do to identify his real name. Then at the house, Gumball is talking about his real name as Nicole reveals that it's Zach and him, along with Darwin is whispering it in the school bus. Later, Gumball as an alter ego, goes to school to talk about the school basketball team and band, eating Banana Joe's cousin's face, skipping in line in a supermarket and letting Darwin take his place while shoppers throw items at him. When Darwin comes home, he discovers that Anais now has to live in a shoe, Richard is dressed as a woman and not considered a dad but a "male mother" and their mom has lost in a match between Gumball in being the most obnoxious. Later, the family proposes to change his name to Gumball by going to the Town Hall by driving a car at full speed. Darwin and Anais try to tell Gumball to remember his true identity as in his subconscious, his alter ego tries to modify his memories from being a loser to being always a winner. Meanwhile in the real world, Nicole tries to escape from police and at the paintball match dream as seen in "The Fridge," his arcade memory appears and after realizing that his name is Gumball, Zach disintegrates. Gumball wakes up and signs his nickname into the document, and the bureaucrat tells them that they could have used the internet to change Zach's name.
- Apple Kid
- Coffee Cop
- Evil Turtle
- Banana Bob
- Banana Joe
- Lizard Woman
- Green Bear
- Mr. Small
- Construction Men
- Orange Woman
- Mrs. Jötunheim
- Jolly Hamburger
- Doughnut Sheriff
- Granny Jojo (mentioned)
- Daisy the Donkey (seen in the video game background)
- The Pepperonis
- Idaho and his Family
- Mr. Fitzgerald
- The Creatures
- Carlton and Troy
- Santa Claus
- Jackie Wilson
- This episode reveals that Elmore Junior High's mascot is a duck.
- This episode reveals that Gumball's real name is Zach.
- The theme song can be heard in Gumball's subconscious.
- The scene from "The Curse" where Gumball fell off the bridge was redubbed with Jacob Hopkins' voice.
- This is the second time clips from Season 1 are shown, the first was "The Finale."
- Gumball's nickname becomes his legal name in this episode.
- At one during Gumball's subconscious sequence, Zach can be seen bare-chested with the Greek letters, "Psi Gamma Delta," painted on his torso. No such fraternity by that name exists.
- The green boot where Anais is told to live in resembles the Goomba's Shoe from Super Mario Bros. 3.
- The entire episode slightly resembles the Doctor Who episode "The Name of the Doctor," where the Doctor's timeline almost gets completely changed.
- This is the second time Richard dresses as a woman, the first time was "The Finale."
- This is the second time Gumball sweats a large amount of sweat. The first time was in "The Coach."
- The Evil Turtle from "The Puppy" reappears in this episode.
- The Watterson car is damaged and loses its roof in the same manner as in "The Authority."
- The music used in Gumball's memory of winning the video game is the same piece used in Gumball and Darwin's fight in "The Words."
- Darwin mentions the time Gumball tried to jump an unfinished bridge on the Elmore Expressway in "The Curse," the time Tobias had beaten him in the "duel" in "The Knights," the time Gumball had kissed Darwin, believing he was kissing Penny in "The Pressure," and when Gumball purposely lost the tennis match in "The Sweaters." Scenes from "Halloween," "The Picnic," "The Tag," "The Bumpkin," "The Job," "The Authority," "The Pressure," "The Finale," "The Dress," "The Phone," "The Knights," "The Sidekick," "The Fridge," "Christmas," "The Flower," and "The Skull" are also shown as Gumball explores his subconscious.
- A poster for Alligators on a Train from "The DVD" can be seen in the background of Funland.
- This is the third time an episode makes multiple references to past episodes.
- Gumball's collar starts popping to indicate Zach is in control, but Gumball's sweater clearly doesn't have a collar.
- There are some errors during Gumball's flashbacks:
- In the scene from "The Sweaters," Carlton and Troy's positions on the court switch with Gumball's, Carlton and Troy's tennis racquets are gone, and Darwin is not present.
- In the scene from "The Fridge," Zach holds the flag, standing on a rock, but in the actual episode, the flag is on a hill. Also, Zach's paint-gun had pink paint, where Gumball's paint-gun had blue paint.
- In the scene from "The Curse," Gumball was shown in his Season 1 design, but when Zach alters the memory, he is in his Season 2 design.
- When they were in the car Gumball's tail was seen on his right leg, which could have been misplaced or longer.