|U.S. air date:||July 6, 2015|
|U.K. air date:||September 3, 2015|
|International premieres:|| Portugal: April 5, 2015|
Australia: April 2015
Bulgaria & Poland: May 11, 2015
Russia: May 13, 2015
Nigeria: May 5, 2015
Netherlands: May 18, 2015
Turkey: June 15, 2015
Spain: July 11, 2015
|Written by:|| Ben Bocquelet|
|Storyboarded by:|| Aurelie Charbonnier|
"The Downer" is the 37th episode of Season 3 of The Amazing World of Gumball. It is the 113th episode overall.
When Gumball wakes up in a bad mood his parents try to cheer him up but wishes they would all disappear.
The episode begins with Richard and Darwin angrily knocking on Gumball's door. Nicole and Anais join them, then suddenly Gumball yells, "No!". He Family goes in and they all see Gumball in bed, and Gumball shows them his grumpy face and tells them he's in the bad mood. His family then part their hands on Gumball to cheer him up. Gumball, getting more mad, angrily yells at his family to go away and leave him in peace. Suddenly, Gumball then sees his family has disappeared.
Gumball walks into the family room and asks where his family is hiding. Gumball then realizes that his wish for making his family go away has come true.
Gumball begins playing with blocks, and pretends he's giant monster terrorizing a city. He drops a block person down the toilet. Gumball then attempts to cheer himself up by watching television and singing a song,but his bad mood returns. Gumball then cooks dinner and pretends to act like his family. But Gumball is still in a bad mood.
He leaves his house and rampages through the neighborhood and town, and Gumball discovers he's the last person on Earth since everybody in Elmore is gone, even Gumball's family. He then sees miserable signs and billboards that have changed. He arrives at the Elmore Mall in an attempt to bring everybody back. A shadowy darkness then closes in on Gumball, forcing him to run away. Gumball returns his house before the darkness consumed everything, leaving only gumball in the abyss. He tries to remember his father's advice from earlier in the episode. Darwin suddenly appears and the darkness fades away, revealing that his family is back. It reveals that Gumball was only hallucinating because of his bad mood and misery. Gumball and Darwin walk away, and Anais asks Nicole if they should tell him. Before Nicole could say anything, a flashback plays, revealing everybody in Elmore while Gumball halluncinates. After the flashback ends, Nicole replies that they should leave Gumball the embarrassment.
Main Character Edit
- Gumball (Antagonist by self)
Supporting Characters Edit
- Penny (mentioned)
- Mr. Robinson (mentioned)
- Principal Brown (mentioned)
- Lego Figures
- Frog Kid
- Doughnut Sheriff
- Hot Dog Guy
- Sausage Dog
- Mr. Poop
- Neck Beard
- Blue Elephant
- Carmen's father
- Banana Bob
- According to Ben Bocquelet, this episode underwent a considerable rewrite because the early draft was deemed excessively dark.
- This episode, along with "The Egg," "The Triangle," and "The Money" aired in multiple countries before it aired in the US.
- Gumball breaks the Fourth Wall ny speaking to the viewer and singing Life to the viewer as well through most of this episode.
- This is the first new episode to premiere on a Monday since "The Club".
- Anais mentions the Finger Touch Heart Disintegrating Move at the beginning of the episode, which was demonstrated in "The Move."
- In the same scene, Nicole calls Gumball "Gummypuss," which was what she kept calling him throughout "The Meddler."
- Gumball makes the same face he did in "The Bros," "The Friend" and "The Spoiler."
- The plug socket that Richard tried to kiss in "The Flakers" reappears in this episode.
- Music from "The World," "The Kiss," "The Oracle," "The Secret," "The Tape," and "The Procrastinators" is reused.
- This is the third episode in which a character imitates Darwin. The First was "The Sidekick". and the second was in "The Safety".
Cultural References Edit
- One of the billboards Gumball sees has "Captain Crud" on it, which references the cereal mascot, Captain Crunch.
- The song in this episode is a parody of Pharrell Williams' "Happy."
- Gumball makes a reference to the Christian rapture when he states that everyone has gone to a better place.
- The toy that Gumball plays with is a LEGO set, complete with figures.
- The way that Gumball runs fast may be a reference to the Sonic the Hedgehog video game series.
- The darkness grabbing Gumball's Face is a reference to the character Venom from the Spider-Man franchise.
- In one scene, Gumball loses his whiskers while tilting his head.
- During the song "Life", when Gumball says he has the sun on the TV screen, the spaceship he plays as moves even through he has his arms out and destroyed the controller earlier in the song.