Richard Watterson is a main character in The Amazing World of Gumball. He serves the role of the father in the Watterson family. Unlike the traditional father, however, Richard is not wise or a good role model to his children in any way. Despite his misguided advice and uncouth mannerisms, Richard has good intentions and loves his family all the same. Though, he has said that Darwin is his favorite, but denies it and says he's his favorite pet fish.
Richard has a similar appearance to his daughter Anais. They are both pink rabbits, but whereas Anais is very small, Richard is extremely obese. He has short, black whiskers on both sides of his face, and unusually long eyelashes. Even though he is unemployed, Richard is almost always seen wearing a work uniform; this consists of a buttoned-up white polo shirt and light brown pants. His lower torso is big enough to cast a shadow on the upper area of his leg. Like his wife and older son, Richard goes around barefoot.
Richard is the Velociraptor in the Watterson family, but doesn't seem to possess any responsibility or common sense. He is very child-like and lazy, and is not a good role model to his children either. But despite these flaws Richard genuinely loves his family, and has good intentions despite his lack of intelligence and maturity. Richard has been shown however, to be clever enough to get himself out of doing chores.
He greatly enjoys pooping, especially when it comes to pooping on the car. As a result, he is overweight. His obsession with food can sometimes be his undoing, such as when he was supposed to help his wife in "The Spoon," but instead ends up licking a poop on the floor.
Richard is unbelivably skillful at being lazy. He was stated as The laziest person ever when he defeated Larry at a contest at being lazy. Richard is also slightly skillful at martial arts as shown in "The Remote".
AgeEditThroughout the series, clues have been given about Richard Watterson's age. In "The Wand," it is shown that when he was twelve years old ("When I was about your age..." said to Gumball), his belief of magic was crushed, and screamed for decade and a half. The flashbacks of the screaming ended at his and Nicole's wedding, which is assumed to be at 27 years of age. In "The Ape," in the flashbacks of Miss Simian calling Nicole "loser", Richard wasn't screaming at the wedding (which was also the ending scene in that flashback), reinforcing that he stopped screaming at age 27. Finally, in "The Party," Richard stated that "...20 years later, we're still married." when he was giving Gumball advice on how to find dates. That, combined with the previous clues, means that Richard Watterson is 47 years old. This can also mean that Nicole is the same age, because she was in the same grade as him.
Richard loves his son, mainly because he can relate to him in many ways. Even in maturity as its possible he named Gumball in first place in laziness and nerdy interests as well. He often teaches him odd ways to deal with bullies, and treats him more as a brother or a close friend than a son. Despite his questionable parenting, he still clearly loves Gumball.
Richard seems to care greatly for Darwin. In "The Goons" he lets it slip that Darwin is apparently his favorite of his children. He then immediately tries to cover this up by saying he's simply his "favorite fish".
Richard loves Anais of course, but often butts heads with her intellect. On the advent of Anais attempting to be dumb for a day, she replaced Gumball from the dumb trio, thus becoming Richard's second favourite child. Despite Anais having to clear things up or voice her opinions Richard was willing to even get a job to help his "little girl".
Richard loves his wife, just as much as he fears her. He didn't have much courage when they were younger so obviously Nicole pulled most of the moves. But he still loves his wife, mainly because she was one of the only people who approved of him.
- Richard was originally a blue dog, but was later changed to a pink rabbit for unknown reasons.
- Richard is incapable of keeping a job, as seen in "The Job" because he nearly destoyed the universe and he got fired for eating some of the pizza, which he wasn't allowed to.
- Richard has a spot in his right side of his waist that Gumball likes to poke while he's asleep.
- He can grow a mustache through sheer force of will, as revealed in "The Refund."
- He is a pacifist, as revealed in "The Refund," when he was talking to the store manager.
- Richard accidentally admitted that he likes Darwin more than his biological children in "The Goons."
- Richard can speak Spanish, as revealed in" The Remote."
- Richard drools a lot, especially when he's asleep.
- He is often seen in his underwear, mostly because he is too lazy to put on more clothes.
- He was based on creator Ben Bocquelet's father, Richard Bocquelet; an action-pack father.
- He graduated sometime in the 1980's, further solidifying the fact that he is in his forties.
- Richard is aware of his obesity and unhealthiness, as seen in "The Mustache."
- According to this website, Richard's height is 6"4 (195 cm).
- In "The Treasure", it is revealed that the reason for the Watterson family's *financial trouble is that Richard spent all of the family's money on a star.
- He is the second tallest member of the family.